NZ Diary

A description of what I get up to in my new life Down Under

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

NZ so far......

This is all I have seen, heard and noticed about NZ so far.
People spend lots of time cleaning their dicks (decks). Lots of sweeping and sanding etc.
Sweets are called lollies.
Last week was NZ fission week (fashion).
Hoons are boy racers - they whizz around in souped up cars.
The main (very modern) city cinema shows very few movies on week day evenings. Not enought people go mid week. Kev was in shock!
Who Wants To Be A Millionaire (Oz) had its first millionaire this week.
Politicians swear on TV - bladdy this and bladdy that.
Asian means oriental mainly here - 1 in 4 is Asian in Auckland.
Sharks and rays swum in the Kelly Tarlton Aquarium.
There are lots of English programmes on the telly. I watched the Royal Variety Show yesterday - how sad is that?
Michael Barrymore lives here.
There are boats everywhere - everyone seems to have something to go on the water.
Most schools have swumming pools.
Most ads on TV are v. hard sell and boring.
I've been to Warehouse - "Where everyone gets a bargain!"
I can do Kiwi 1 to 10 - wun, tyoo, three, fawer, foive, sex, sivin, ayt, noin, tin!
Maori art is beautiful.
God channel is on every morning - from America.
Cars are sold on one of the other channels every morning.
Coronation Street is 6-9 months behind. I think I'll tell everyone that Shelley leaves him at the altar.
I still can't understand everything people say and I really need to stop nodding like a moron and to actually ask what they said.
I like vegemite!
Tomato sauce and baked beans have an after taste of cloves.
Kids learn the Hakka at school - how cool is that?!
There is an ad on TV about Christian burials.
You can cross the road diagonally at crossroads - exciting at first and lots of fun - but we're quite blase about it now.
Cars have the right of way when turning right, they're allowed to cut across you.
I take it back - NZ Cadbury's is good - it's Oz Cadbury's that is naff.
The steak is delicious and cheap.
My stomach is still not used to NZ - getting there.
There's only one poisonous creature here - a spider - white something or other - but is hardly ever seen - fine by me.
Export Gold Beer tastes good.
Wine is cheap.
There's hardly any football on TV. Fan bloody tastic. Loads of rugby, cricket, nitball, fushing at the mo plus some bowling.
Chinese food is glorious and cheap. I've also eaten lots of sushi - chicken teriyaki sushi is good - I've eaten HEAPS (kiwis say this word a lot).
I love the thick green fruity drink with spirulina - probably why I have a dodgy stomach. It could be a help for constipation for all I know.
The fush and chups in Devonport are delicious. (2pounds 30 pence a portion), it was so big that I couldn’t finish it.
I have visited Birkenhead by ferry.
I've heard loads of Brit accents and a few American.
I've seen filming in Auckland Zoo - they were filming the monkeys - Kevin was standing casually in the background by the giant tortoises. You may yet see him on the Travel Channel on Sky in UK!
There was a great film in the Maritime Museum about the first immigrants to NZ - the Maori.
The beaches are beautiful with their tall palm trees and cabbage trees on the edge.
Lawns are full of buttercups and daisies.
Soft spread butter is NOT! Beware.
Things still to do: Go out into the countryside (picking up a car on Weds)
See the Harlem Gospel Choir
See a live rugby match
Visit the Auckland Museum (on a rainy day)
Get a job!
See ya!
Love from Suexxxxxxxx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home