NZ Diary

A description of what I get up to in my new life Down Under

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

What a manic time!

What a manic time!

I’ve done so much since we last spoke, I don’t know where to begin!

I’ve visited a farm (via a new found kiwi friend and her family) near Hamilton and learned about Calf Club, of which my friend was a member as a child (she entered her pet lamb).

Each year, in rural schools around New Zealand, a day is held with one purpose - to encourage children to take an active interest in the welfare and presentation of an animal of their choice for a community day at their school.

I saw a bit about it on TV too – it looked fun. Animals running amok everywhere and kids running after them!

I’ve seen fireworks in the Viaduct – a brilliant free display for all. It was lovely and good to have the company of other new friends too (you know who you are!).

There was one dotty woman there who kept asking us where the fireworks would be – considering we were at the front and facing out to sea, it did seem pretty obvious. Also, there was a security guard telling everyone too. We all clapped heartily at the end of the display – I was well impressed!

Kevin bought a car at Turners Auctions – a very exciting affair! Lots of loud music and stuff to introduce it all. My heart was in my mouth – even though ours was no 47! I desperately tried not to catch anyone’s eye, scratch my nose or stroke my hair.

I am very good at driving from the CBD to Howick now and from Howick to the Botany shopping area. Only took a detour once – ie got lost. I’ve even found a really good Asian/China town area a few mins from Howick with a really big Chinese super market – a bit like Wing Yip in good old Brummy!

I’m getting better at remembering that the windscreen wipers are at the left hand side of the steering wheel and the indicators are on the right. Although under times of stress I have forgotten – so if you see a panic stricken face behind the wheel of a blue Nissan with the wipers going 19 to the dozen in bright sunshine – worry not – tis only me!

Work permit and IRD number have both been applied for. Just have to wait – not too long I hope!

I’ve found somewhere to live, just need to manage now without stuff until the container arrives! We’ll pretend we’re camping for the next few months.

We’ve opened a bank account – very easy and very friendly people there. Got a switch type card at the counter on the same day! Have now got a credit card too.

Drivers here are a bit manic. Overtaking on all sides of the motorway. People weaving in and out and lanes suddenly disappearing leading to 2 cars vying for 1 space – scary!

I’ve had my first NZ haircut - $25 for a wash, cut and dry. Had it done in Howick as this will be my local area. Very nice South African lady did it. I’ve noticed lots of South African accents in the Howick area.

I had a free facial in the Botany shopping centre whilst waiting to look at rentals – also done by another very nice South African lady. I felt very refreshed whilst looking at the next house! Also being looked at by a young South African couple and their very cute baby!

There will be a Santa Parade down Queen Street next weekend! Another experience to partake of.

There is a giant Santa above Whitcoulls. He is constantly beckoning with his right index finger and winking at anyone who wishes to take notice. Looks a bit perverse to me – have a look if you go by – could just be my warped imagination!

The weather is beautiful and getting warmer by the day.

I’m still eating lots of kiwi fruits - they have now been joined by juicy strawberries and massive blackberries.

That’s it so far – just remember when going on the motorway in NZ to always MERGE LIKE A ZIP!

See ya!

X Sue

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home