NZ Diary

A description of what I get up to in my new life Down Under

Thursday, November 24, 2005

A series of firsts.

A Series Of Firsts

First experience of the New Zealand National Anthem
We stood up and listened to it sung first in Maori and then in English – came over all goose bumpy! Hope I can join in one day.
This was at Auckland’s Edwardian Town Hall. Kevin and I attended a Festival of Music consisting of a variety of performances by Primary School Children.
The Hall is a piece of history in itself – built in 1911 it is a replica of the Neues Gewendhaus in Leipzig, Germany, which was unfortunately destroyed by Allied bombing in WWII.
The whole concert was brilliant – from choir singing to an orchestra, to a cool jazz band and then onto Maori Hakka. The whole evening was one I’ll remember for a long time.

I visited a Buddhist Temple. It’s truly beautiful, but not quite finished yet. However, you can still go into the tea rooms and attend a whole variety of classes if the fancy takes you.

I kept seeing it in the distance on my way to the Botany shopping centre. Finally, curiosity taking the better of me, I ventured in and am very glad that I did!
Can’t wait to see it fully completed. The smell of incense took me back to the temples visited whilst living in Hong Kong – especially the Wong Tai Sin Temple down the road from our flat.

Made a fool of myself in the bank!
I made my first deposit there today. Hmmm
With deposit at the ready I inserted my card and followed all instructions dutifully and was given an envelope. I put the money in the envelope and could not for the life of me figure out how it went into the slot facing me. Then time ran out and ACCESS WAS DENIED. Fortunately a kind bank lady came along and pointed out that I was using the wrong slot! Another stupid pom experience from me I’m afraid.

I have joined the Howick library! I took out one book and it is very boring – so I shall venture back again.

Things I have noticed:
The Thursday documentary on Channel 3 is called the Thursday Doco! Don’t ya just love it!
Motorway signs are green.
Road signs are blue.
Sales are called spishells (specials)
By the way – what’s a LAYBY? Keep seeing it in shops and keep forgetting to ask.

I like watching the fishing programmes – I’m storing all knowledge for future fishing experiences.

There’s a range of mountains in the South called the REMARKABLES. I have decided they must have been named by a very upper class intrepid English explorer, who, upon stumbling across them, must have said:
“I say old chap, these mountains are truly remarkable”.
I wonder what they would be called if discovered today? The Wickeds perhaps?
Anyhow, I’m really looking forward to seeing them one day.

Well – Good on yah!

Sue signing off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home