NZ Diary

A description of what I get up to in my new life Down Under

Friday, January 27, 2006

Wow – yet another week has passed and melted into oblivion!

Now – let me see – what have I been up to?

A housewarming
Baking
Going out in my first Auckland storm
Getting son ready for his new school
Visiting Piha (2x)

Housewarming
Was invited to a friend’s house last weekend. A lovely time was had by all.
The house is very pretty and there is a little chook house at the back, which will be fun to see filled. Lovely fresh eggs too!
Children ran amok whilst adults stood around in the sun or sat on the shady dick chatting, drinking and eating.
It was good to catch up with everyone. As it got dark and the drink began to flow (at one point I had a beer in one hand – due to son not being too keen on that one – and sangria in another) – lots of spooky ghost stories were told!
Was given some arnica cream for my bruise by another friend and it has worked a treat – have since acquired some to continue the treatment! Cheers!
The barbie was lovely as were all the delicious desserts put on by friend. Also – I really LOVED the roasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds in soya sauce – YUM! Have since made some and am very impressed with the results, though I say so myself. (Thank you very much for the recipe).
Was accosted at one point by a kiwi demanding what footie team I supported – caused great disappointment when I said none! He could not believe that an English person did not like football and was even more amazed when son declared the same! However, after the initial shock wore off, they were still very nice to me!
Spent the night at another set of friends’ house. Played with their gorgeous, fast growing, inquisitive and adventurous kittens. Son had the pleasure of sleeping in the same room as them!

Thanks everyone – it was a lovely evening.

Baking
Am going through a baking stage at the mo and have so far made:
Apricot and plum muffins (in season now – the fruit I mean!)
Cheese, tomato and onion muffins – scoffed in a flash by son and his friend – oh and me too – ahem….
Cheese damper bread – lovely
Apple, banana and raisin cake – I just made up this recipe due to the fact that I had an apple and a banana needing eating RIGHT NOW, before they died.
Peanut butter cookies – not too bad – but I may look for a tastier recipe in the future.
Sorry – no photos due to the fact that they are in a variety of people’s tummies right now.

Storm
We had a bad storm this week – very heavy rain and strong winds.
A friend’s water tank exploded and another friend ended up with half a tree on her deck! Luckily, everything is covered and has turned out well in the end.
I popped out to Botany for son’s new school sandals and got absolutely soaked – also my lovely pink umbrella was turned inside out quite a few times! Gave up using it after a while and just sploshed my way around the shoe shop, leaving soggy puddles in my wake.
Umbrella seems to have survived okay though. Available for another rainy (yet less windy) day in the distant future.
Have since removed startling variety of twigs and branches from back garden.

Back To School
After quite a long break since GCSEs in the UK (July) – son is now preparing for his return to school and AS Levels.
We went to the school uniform shop and have stocked up on fetching blue and white stripy shirts and RAF blue shorts and trousers. Son refuses to wear long woollen socks (along with delightful garters to hold them up) and black shoes with his shorts – he has opted for the very trendy brown leather sandals instead (no socks required here).
We also had an interview with the principal of the school who seemed a very nice man - he sorted out son's A-Level options and put him into one of the school houses.
I am also going back to school, also since leaving my UK school last July. It’s going to be a real shock to the system methinks…..
However, I will have three teacher training days to ease myself into it all ready for the onslaught of children on the 7th February.
Keep having worrying dreams where children from my classroom are running amok – ie am only managing to teach one child whilst the others are painting walls, fighting, running home etc etc…..
Of course, whilst I am in absolute chaos – everyone else’s class is fine and dandy!

Piha

Image hosting by Photobucket

Have been to this crazy, wild, black-sanded beach twice this week and have enjoyed it so MUCH!
The first day we went was the day after the storms and, unfortunately, the swells were not too good – still had lots of fun boarding though.
The second visit (yesterday) was FAB – the waves were great.
We dutifully kept between the flags and were guided constantly by very impressive lifeguards as to the safest places to be.

Image hosting by Photobucket
The rips were strong and opposing waves would crash into each other quite dramatically, sending spray in all directions.
We kept trying to get to the BIG wave at the back, but were constantly thwarted and battered by other smaller waves. However, I still managed to catch some very cool waves and went speeding along into the shore – what a buzz!

“I’m riding along on the crest of a wave and the sun is in my eyes……..”

Image hosting by Photobucket

Apparently, I was in the sea for a full 3 hours of constant boogie boarding on my first go and, after a tuna fish roll and rather a large plum, followed by gallons of water, was back in again for at least another hour after that.
As a consequence today, both son and I are completely knackered and I have a lovely red face and pink backs of my hands, complete with white fingers! Rather a strange sight to behold.

Well – that’s me for the week so far!

Oh and just thought I’d let you know – just in case you may be passing by the Botany area – that there is a very large shop with the wonderful name of:

Knobs and Knockers!

See ya!

x Sue

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

Hello,
Food sounds yummy
rain sounds like home!!
Uniform sounds a bit scary and work sounds just like me - ha ha ha!!!!!!! Pleased you are still having fun and making new friends. I have about £30 saved in my going to see Sue fund, so you never know one day you might get a phone call from me from the airport!!

Love Andrea x

2:01 AM  
Blogger x Sue said...

Hey Andrea - you look great! Keep saving, I'm looking forward to you getting here.
Will let you know about work when it hits me!

x Sue

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home