NZ Diary

A description of what I get up to in my new life Down Under

Friday, April 27, 2007

What's The Plan Stan?

Hellooooo!

That's the name of our new topic at school this term........all about what to do in earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tsunamis etc etc. Had lots of fun discussing how well we would be prepared and realised we are NOT at all! Not one of us teachers have got anything ready! (At home I mean!)

The government keeps putting ads on the TV telling us to have our survival kit ready and at hand- sleeping bags, warm clothing, water, food, a barbecue etc. Now I'm assuming that this is in case we are stranded in the home without power for a while - if it was a tsunami, we're not gonna have a lot of time loading it into the car and then heading for high ground with that lot - assuming the roads are clear. If they're not, I don't fancy lugging litres of water up the nearest hill nor pushing a barbie along the road! Hey ho...... You gotta larf.

Also - during the last tsunami threat, I realised afterwards just how little I knew - I watched the news on BBC World (nothing on NZ TV at all!) and sat there waiting to see if it was really gonna hit us - I SAT WAITING! Just in case! What I really should have done was get some food together etc etc - but no - I woke son up and then we watched the telly - ready to make a last minute dash up Pigeon Mountain Hill if need be - with nothing to survive with! How daft am I! But apparently I wasn't the only one! Anyway - at least I'm far more aware now if nothing else.

On Thursday, the whole school practised a fire alarm drill and next week we are going to practise what to do in an earthquake. We need to DROP, COVER and HOLD! IE Drop down, get under cover and hold on. In school, the children have to get under their desks and hold onto the legs, whilst I have to do the same or brace myself in a doorway! The practise on Monday should be fun! If you happen to be outside, you just have to stand still (as long as you are away from tress etc, that is).

Thankfully, Auckland is not too prone to earthquakes - but we still need to be prepared, just in case. Also - there are parts of NZ that have LOTS of earthquakes, and who knows if you ever end up there one day! Wellington is very prone to earthquakes, and we visited there not so long ago.

Anyhoo - here's the link to the really good website for those interested - it gives you a good idea of what has gone on here disaster wise. Also if you're a teacher - there's lots of plans, phots and videos for you to use!

http://www.whatstheplanstan.govt.nz/index.html

Have fun!

This Wednesday just gone, we had a day off work for ANZAC day. The weather was absolutely gorgeous, so we trotted off to Goat Island for the afternoon - lovely. I was immediately dragged into the water by two very excited young ladies that came along, only to see the youngest immediately run back out again due to strong waves and fish around her feet. The other lasted a little while longer, but nearly choked on sea water when she saw a group of snapper suddenly appear before her (she screamed extremely loudly!)

After they had had their fun - I carried on snorkelling alone observing the wild life around me - it was GREAT! The fish were plentiful and unafraid - they were everywhere - snapper, blue maomao (very pretty and very very blue) and some zebra type fish were the ones I saw that day!


Blue maomao (at about 16 in long, they were the smallest fish I saw that day).

Here is some info about the snapper:

http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfacts/fish/pauratus.htm


Well - on another note entirely, I am currently cleaning the house and then about to spend a happy afternoon writing reports - poo.

I have also noted that none of the sinks in my house, nor the other rental we lived in, have overflow holes - not even the bath!

The feijoas are falling off the hedge and we are just as quickly trying to eat them - yummy! They are a completely different variety to the ones at the other house - these are more sort of fruity rather than flowery/fragrant in taste. Anyway they are still good! There're physalis everywhere too and I am entirely bored with them now! Will go pick some and stew them or something - jam might be interesting! Mmmmmm.

I also tried a horned melon the other day - sorry can't find a pic for you on the net - but it's yellow, oval (about the size of 2 apples joined together) with spikes all over it. When you cut it open, it is surprisingly grass green in colour. It tastes strangely like a sour banana - sounds weird - but I liked it! Out of the four of us tasting it - 2 liked it and 2 definately did not!

Aha - just found it:

Kiwano Horned Melon - is a member of the cucumber family and not of the kiwi family. Looks like an oval melon with horns and is very decorative. Picked green, the kiwano horned melon tastes like a mix of lemon and banana. It is a tropical fruit so it cannot be stored in the refrigerator.


Cool eh?!

Well - I really must go now and clean - wahayyy. Then write reports - bigger wahayyyy! What would I do with my free time if I didn't have them.....

Tara fer noo.

x Sue












0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home