NZ Diary

A description of what I get up to in my new life Down Under

Monday, March 06, 2006

Better late than never!

Well – as usual time is flitting its flits away!

School

Have been busy trying to learn the NZ National Anthem – but not really getting very far! We had the ground, where the new Computer Block and Library will be built, blessed by a Catholic Priest last week and I dutifully did the goldfish mouth for the anthem. I love the bit in Maori first.

I also love weekly singing practise in the Whare Hui (you should all be able to say this now). The Fush and Chup song is soooo funny. ‘Fush and Chups make me want to luck my lups’! Gives me the giggles every time.

The kids are cottoning on to the fact that we are going to be studying the wonderful topic of Minibeasts – am currently being shown or tried to be handed a lovely variety of said squirmy creatures – yuk!

Have taught my class how to sing Frere Jacques and London’s Burning. They are excellent at singing London’s Burning as a round now! Goodness knows what people think when they walk past my room!

Had Meet The Parents Night at school last night. A sausage sizzle (barbie) was enjoyed by all. Teachers were then introduced to the parents (one by one – embarrassing) and the evening ended after a Q and A session with our Deputy Principal.

Census

Last week was handed the NZ Census at my front door by a lady who assumed I knew what the heck she was talking about. I have no TV and only listen to the radio on the way to work, so I nearly shut the door in her face and said no thank you not today. Good job I took the time to listen – apparently it’s illegal not to fill it in!

Phone Bill

Have spoken to hubby from the UK everyday since he left last November. Luckily he uses a very cheap ‘line’. So far he has called 165 times – over 25 hours of chattering – and the total cost was seventeen pounds and ninety two pence (sorry no pound sign on computer!). So please let me know if you want more info!

Howick

I love the ‘village’ feel of Howick. Every time I drive into it, the view of the sea and islands beyond is so spectacular. The sea seems to be a variety of shades of blue and it changes chameleon-like every time I see it.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Last Saturday, son and I drove in to get hair cuts and a new school jumper. Son NEVER wore a jumper to school in the UK, but is really feeling the cold now in the early mornings (only around 14 degrees – but chilly when it’s been so hot recently). Sad isn’t it?! Must be acclimatising.

Well we got our respective hairs cut, but the uniform shop had no jumpers in stock – they’ve all be sent off for embroidering of school logo and won’t be back until Thursday. I enquired as to how much one would be and was gob smacked to be told that they cost nearly $100! Must be made from spun gold dyed pale blue I reckon.

Well, after all of that trekking around shops in Howick, we felt that we deserved a ginger beer (for son) and a latte with vanilla syrup for me. We sat outside in the sun and enjoyed the sights of people milling around the little craft market there and the sounds of a lovely man singing along to his guitar. He’s very good. Made me feel good to be alive. Very restful!

Image hosting by Photobucket

Here's a few photies of the main street:

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Earlier, we had a wander around the cemetery of the Howick All Saints Church - it has an interesting history.

It was completed in November 1847, was the first building to be erected in Howick, and is now the second oldest church in New Zealand.

Many early settlers are buried in the churchyard including the graves of the Lush children – the offspring of Howick’s first resident vicar, Vicesimus Lush, and his wife Blanche. Three Lush children died in one week in a scarlet fever epidemic in 1854.

Very sad - apparently there are loads of children buried there from this awful epidemic - hard to see now because their simple wooden crosses have long since decayed. Mainly aged under 6 years.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Signs

Have noticed an interesting sign at the end of our road – it reads:

CAUTION!
Blind Pedestrians Crossing!

Take it as you like – me senses a distinct lack of apostrophes! Although – the more I read it – the more confused I become. Doesn’t take much to confuse me.

Very interesting though because there are usually apostrophes everywhere – delightfully placed whenever a word ends in an ‘s’ (have noticed this phenomenon in the UK too). Has become a standing joke between a friend and myself at work. We have a common phrase now – “Does it have an apostrophe in it?” This has often left us in a state of near collapse during quite a few ultra serious staff meetings. I know – very sad – worse than the kids etc etc etc!

Another sign I noticed today was Odorid – a website for bad breath – this is tied to various lamp posts around the Botany area. I’ve seen quite a few whilst making my way around during my daily driving.

Well – container of our belongings arrives from the UK this weekend – have already talked to the MAF man (Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries – I think) – our candle containing a festive Christmas pinecone is sadly no more. Destroyed in the interests of the New Zealand environment! Cheaper than having it sprayed!

Wish me luck cos I’ll need it! No more deck chairs! I love my three piece and I’ll never be nasty to it again, I promise.

I am also truly thankful to those kind families that have allowed me to use their washing machines. Life would have been rather pongy without them - cheers!

You have also been good for me to vent my anger and sorrows upon during these trying times!

Take care.

X Sue

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home