NZ Diary

A description of what I get up to in my new life Down Under

Saturday, November 03, 2007

Same language, different meanings!

Hello!

Just a quickie before I do my planning for the week and then dash off for shower, dim sum with friends and food shopping! Another busy Sunday!

Well - this week I have been mostly laughing at how the same words have a completely different meaning.

I told my DP that I would be rooting for her whilst she did her speech in the conference we attended the other day - only to be told that while she was quite pleased by the thought behind the message, but I really shouldn't say it again in front of other Kiwis! LOL - rooting means what a male and female get up to in the privacy of their bedrooms!

A friend of mine also had a similar experience whilst working in the bank - she told a customer that she would just have a root around in the cupboard (in order to look for some info or other)!

I was also in fits of very immature laughter when our other DP announced to the whole staff in assembly that "in the morning part of the register we should do a slash whilst in the afternoon we should do a dot". I know - very childish and pathetic of me - but it WAS funny!

Well - I got the camera program loaded, but have left the camera at school! So - Taupo photos will be coming soon - promise!

We're off back to Taupo next weekend and are going to visit Mount Ruapehu and play in the snow before it all finally melts! Should be fun - as long as there're no eruptions! They had one a few weeks back - took everyone a bit by surprise!

Hey ho!

Speak soon.

x Sue

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home