NZ Diary

A description of what I get up to in my new life Down Under

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Couple more piccies!

Helloooo!

As you know, I spent some special time at Glinks Gully a coupla weeks ago.

The photos I put on previously were taken from the internet as I had forgotten my camera. However, I did take some with my phone - so here you go:

Glinks Gully - flax in foreground


Flax

On the stormy days there, I learned how to make sushi:

First attempt at sushi!

(I particularly like the one with the piece of cucumber sticking out of it - very arty though I say so myself). Also - the cucumber is from my garden - ahem!
I also learned how to weave flowers from flax (the Maori way):

Flax flower weaving

Close up

Cool eh? This is flax:

Flax in flower, Okarito, Westland. Photo: Philippe Gerbeaux.

Indeed, you can see it silhouetted in one of the Glinks Gully photos above. They are found all over the place here - I even have a variegated one in the garden! The flax is a native to NZ and very useful it can be too! You will see all about it on this website:
http://www.doc.govt.nz/conservation/native-plants/harakeke-flax/

2 Comments:

Blogger Ribbon Girl said...

Good to see you're blogging again Sue! Mary x

12:37 AM  
Blogger x Sue said...

Hi Mary! Good to be back!

1:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home