NZ Diary

A description of what I get up to in my new life Down Under

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

I've missed you!

Hi all – I bet you can’t guess what I’ve been doing?

Here’s a clue – every time I close my eyes, I see white boxes – EVERYWHERE…….
Along the hallway, in the kitchen, all over the bedroom blah blah blah de dah for ever and ever amen.

Yes – you’re right – our stuff has finally arrived! How weird to see it all here and to think of all the places it’s travelled to – Germany, Holland, Italy, the Suez Canal, Australia and finally New Zealand. Wow.

The weekend the stuff finally made its Bucklands Beach debut was one of the busiest ever experienced by myself – all the time at the back of my mind I was thinking – back to work on Monday, back to work on Monday, must get sorted…….Sunday night was not in bed until after 12 due to getting stuff ready for work, only to be woken by shrieking alarm at 6am!

Aaaaaaaahhh……. I did not catch up with myself until the Sunday just gone – I slept in until 10.30!

Didn’t sleep in on Saturday due to moron beeping horn outside house at 7.30am. Grrrrrr….

This Sunday the clocks were moved back one hour – so I gained a precious 60mins all to myself. Lovely. However, forgot at first and spent the day wondering why I was getting everywhere earlier than everyone else!

The obvious advantage of daylight savings time is that it is light in the morning when I get up – rather than pitch black.

Last week was hanging my washing out in the early morning darkness, when I heard a rustling noise very close by (about a metre away). As I squinted into the darkness and my eyes became accustomed to the lack of light, I realised it was something rather large and furry that was scuffling around near my shed. I stamped my feet a few times in order to scare it off (whatever it was).

Either the furry blob was deaf or it did not give a crap – because it carried on shuffling in the leaves in the same spot! Now I needed to get that washing out before going to work – so – it was done at top speed with many furtive glances in the direction of shuffly furry blob. Luckily, it carried on scruffling in leaves and I got the job done – albeit rather haphazardly, with many strange and novel ways of hanging out of clothing.

Quite artistic, I thought, that evening, as I was about to bring it all in.

Washing now goes out in the evening in the light.

It is now dark at around 7pm and we are really appreciating the fabulous sunsets as viewed from our sitting room window – gorgeous hues of red, orange, yellow, ochre, gold, crimson, pink, cherry (you get the picture – good – I’ve run out of descriptive words in the thesaurus). Anyway – in layman’s terms – the sunsets are WICKED!

Good news! Have had a letter from Payroll and will be getting some of my money for being a ‘teacher in need’ soon – yippee! Will get son a new bed and proceed to move bed settee to spare room - once it’s free of haunting WHITE BOXES that is!

Talking of teaching and school – I had two children walk into my classroom last week (obviously on an errand for another teacher) – asking me if I had any TWINK that they could borrow.

Now – lots of things crossed my mind after the utterance of the word ‘twink’, this is a wind-up, being one of them. After a few seconds of goldfish mouthing and giving the kids a blank stare – I asked them to repeat the sentence – and – yes – it was twink they asked for.

The children suddenly became aware that I had not the slightest clue what it was they were asking for and, after lengthy explanations, hand movements and descriptions, I came to the realisation that it was tippex! Apparently the Kiwis call tippex, twink. Oh well – I’m learning!

Anyway, I didn’t have any. Bought some yesterday though. But obviously too late for needy teacher in another room somewhere in the school twilight zone.

The Commonwealth Games have been really enjoyable to watch – loved the cycling and swumming – esp the Hakka given by the male swummers when a Kiwi medal was won!

A new fruit has been experienced by my tastebuds – a Kiwi Berry! These are like miniature kiwi fruits, but they are smooth on the outside and you eat them whole – just pop them into your mouth – yummy and soooo sweet! I like them.

A lot.

Yum.

This week I have mostly been eating yummy avocados – one everyday in me saladio. Smoothly gorgeous!

Anyway – I’ve missed talking to you all and promise not to be so late again – at least not until I have to move house (groan).

Sue signing off (not for too long though).

Byeee!!!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home