NZ Diary

A description of what I get up to in my new life Down Under

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Kia Ora!

Kia Ora everyone!

Here I am again - back at work and busy busy!

The children returned on Wednesday - but only about half my class! A few more appeared on Thursday and Friday. Expect most will be back by Monday. Easing me back in gently bless em!

We began a new topic this week - Pasifika (study of the Pacific Islands).

Our year group is studying Tonga. I'm learning soooo much!

We had a special assembly on Friday where the topic was introduced formally to the whole school and blessed by various members of the local community.

So we had introductions in Maori, Samoan, Cook Island, Tongan and Niue. It was so interesting. Some of the people were in their national costume and it really made the whole topic special to everyone in the school.

Also on Friday, we had lots of interesting people in the staff room - again some of them well known New Zealanders - but again I did not have a clue. I just snuck in, got some nosh and snuck out for break duty. Oh - I tell a lie - I did recognise one person - but it took me a while - I suddenly realised at home that evening - he is the leader of the Maori party for New Zealand! They were all very nice anyway, what I saw of them!

Not sure why they were in our staff room though - some special meeting or other - I'm sure I was told at some point, but I'm so busy concentrating on everything else, I forgot.

Son goes back to school tomorrow - he's been busy reading Julius Caesar.

Got a study guide for him in the Howick Library the other day. I really like the libraries here. I have access to 4 of them using my card. They are very well stocked and even have really good DVDs. Have seen the whole of The Office courtesy of the libraries here.

Have found out yesterday that our local post shop is open Saturday and Sunday! Really annoying though, because I have been absolutely killing myself some days after work trying to get to the Howick one before 5pm!

Bought new shoes for son - he's got his first ball here next Saturday - getting quite close now! Apparently, there's a pre-ball party where parents can go to take photos, then they're bussed into the city for the main ball and then finally, they're taken to someone's house for an after ball party, sleepover and breakfast.

Son will be taking sleeping bag to friend's house this Friday as well as essential bacon and eggs etc for after ball next day breakfast!

We have to go for his suit fitting on Thursday evening - he tried one on in the shop and all fitted fine apart from suit sleeves being waaay tooo short! Interesting look.

Am dying to see girlfriend's dress - she's having it made for her and has been for some exciting fittings. Bumped into her mum yesterday and she's feeling that it's more like a wedding with all the little extras she's had to buy and get sorted! I agree - just had to hire a suit for son and buy new shoes!

Thursday

Just by chance, I woke up at 5 am today and could not go back to sleep, so I mosied on in to the living room to watch BBC World which is on Channel 1 through the night til 6am.

Nearly died when I turned it on - these were the headlines:

EARTHQUAKE IN TONGA OF 7.8 MAGNITUDE - FIJI AND NZ AT RISK OF TSUNAMI!

Bloody hell!

I watched for a few minutes and the TV said if a tsunami struck it would happen in about an hours time - aaah.

So - I dashed into son's room and woke him up telling him about the dreaded tsunami - he was not very impressed at 5.15am - but got up to have a look. After about 1/2 an hour or so, nothing had happened to Fiji, so we decided there would be no need to dash up Pigeon Hill. Son ate 2 mini pizzas and a cold sausage and went back to bed.

If it had happened, most people (that were at risk) would have drowned in their beds I reckon - there was no mention on any of the NZ TV channels and only one radio station was talking about it - but as I said - everyone was mostly asleep!

Later on at work, it was only the pommie teachers that knew anything about it, because their rellies had called them at 5am! Spot the pommie teacher - knackered!

Son tried on Ball Suit and looked GORGEOUS (say this with Little Britain voice)! Dying to see him with girlfriend. Shall take lots of photies.

Friday
Was asked at work today by another colleague if it was okay about DB - oh no - blank looks again! After a few seconds of staring at lovely colleague, I asked her very politely what the initials DB stand for (thinking it was some lesson that I didn't know about and have not been doing - oh no!), only to find that she was asking about my classroom helper Debbie - re changing the time she's with me in my classroom! Phew!

Saturday
Collected more feijoas from the garden - am a bit sick of them now and keep giving them away - really must preserve some or something.

Fruit in NZ just falls of the tree with no worm holes or anything - all absolutely perfect.

I ate 5 one after the other the other day - very lovely - but you can only take so much.

In about one hour, we'll be off to the Pre Ball - should be fun!

Well - take care and I'll write soon.

x Sue - still alive and kicking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home