NZ Diary

A description of what I get up to in my new life Down Under

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Reports report (ie How is Sue progressing on her written reports......)
Just the girls middle pages to do - thank heavens! Nearly there.


Last week we had Sports Day!

A couple of days before, we had a practise which involved the children sorting out their 'attention', 'at ease' and 'left right' etc. It also involved them practising where they march to and sit on the field. Unfortunately I (the teacher) was not listening and marched off with the wrong colour! I just wandered off with the yellows (kowhai) instead of reds (whero). Jeez, I didn't know what the heck was going on!

The day itself dawned bright and sunny and I remembered to wear red - including a jaunty red cap. Our team (red) came last and the teacher/parent/children race (of which I partook) also came last! Never mind!

Had a lovely lesson about NZ birds - got a good conversation and Q and A session etc going with the class - getting well into it we were - when a child put her hand up - "Yes!" I asked, waiting for something very useful/procuctive/relevant etc when what did I get? "Miss, my chair smells!" (whilst graphically demonstrating a loud sniff at seat of said object).

I was gobsmacked! Why on earth would you want to sniff a chair? "Don't sniff it then!" came my short retort. Jeeez.

Well, this Saturday, Team 3 teachers (5 of us) visited Western Springs park in the morning to assess it ready for our forthcoming trip re the topic of birds. It was lovely - a really sunny day and birds galore! Here's a few piccies.



Aren't they cute?!!!

Here's a Down Under black swan!



After this little teacher get together, Kev and I dashed off to the Coromandel (Whangamata) again for a night there - a lovely friend at work has a bach there (pronounced batch) and let us use it for the weekend - isn't she great!?

Got there around 3.30, had a wander, got my boogie board (Kiwi pronunciation buggy board) fixed, had a mooch on the beach, collected shells for my card making, did some food shopping, ate a yummy take-away (kumera fries - pwoarahhhh) and drank a bottle of fizz! Fell asleep on the settee. Lovely day!

Next morning we explored a couple of villages either side of Whangamata and decided we'd like a holiday home here too! I LOVE the Coromandel - it's beautiful! We watched the BIG WAVES and surfers (in their wet suits - too cold today - a bit cloudy). However, we still got sunburned faces!

At 4pm ish it was SADLY time to go home - boooooooo.

We took the long arduous drive back to Auckland via the Coromadel Ranges:

About an hour through those rocks in the distance (note the dead insect remains on the windscreen) - majestic, but tedious (the ranges I mean).

Whew! Well we're home now, I've prepared for school tomorrow, I am now writing my blog and there are fireworks shooting around the house EVERYWHERE! So strange that people celebrate Guy Fawkes day here!

Tara fer nooo!

Off I go to bed - maybe I'll write a few reports first? Nahhh.

See yah.

x Sue

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home